The Mummy MOT is a post-natal assessment, with the aim of preventing the development of long-term childbirth-related issues. During pregnancy, labour and birth, a woman’s body undergoes significant changes and in many cases, trauma. A woman may experience alterations to her posture, her pelvic floor function and muscle length and strength, which may ultimately lead to problems such as Pelvic Girdle Pain, Rectus Diastsis Abdominus (tummy separation) and even varying degrees of incontinence.
In the UK routine post-natal physiotherapy is unfortunately limited if at all available and some women often return to exercise and function after birth, without being aware of, or understanding the issues they may be experiencing, often making them worse or developing other issues as a result.
The Mummy MOT has been created to help post-natal women in their recovery journey, firstly helping them to recognize and understand any current or potential post-natal issues they may have and then assisting them in rehabilitating safely and appropriately, thus preventing the likelihood of long-term problems developing. It is undertaken by a physiotherapist with specialist post-natal training, and may be carried out from 6 weeks, 6 years or more after birth. It is never too late to address post-natal complaints or problems.
What to expect at the Mummy MOT postnatal assessment & treatment
• A full postural screen
• An examination of your pelvic floor muscles (internal pelvic floor examination is optional)
• An assessment of your abdominal muscles and measurement of any separation (diastasis recti)
• Screening for bladder and bowel dysfunction
• 1:1 coaching on how to properly activate and work on strengthening your deep core and pelvic floor muscles.
• An effective postnatal rehabilitation exercise program tailored to your physical needs and fitness goals.
Mummy MOT assessment and initial exercise prescription (60 minutes)£90
Individual (30 minute) follow up sessions: £45
Package Price: Mummy MOT assessment (60 mins) + 3 (30 minute) follow up sessions £200